Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I am right, I AM right

I've always known I was a bit different. Not really short bus different, but just, different. No one really seemed to see things the way I did. So, over the weekend I started taking a few personality assessment tests. Why? It had come up in conversation a few times over the past few weeks and seemed a good way to kill a holiday weekend. Also, I am helping lead my church class in a few weeks on the book "Sacred Pathways" by Gary Thomas. "Sacred Pathways" basically looks at how your personality impacts the way you best relate to and experience God.

So on the Myers Briggs I believe I am INTJ. Basically this means that I think I am right all the time; and I very often am. On the DiSC I score high D and high C (I've done this one 'officially' before.) Which also means I think I am right and very often am. On the Sacred Pathways questionairre I score very high as an Intellectual and then as an Activist and Traditionalist. Completely new to me is the Enneagram test. I think I am a 5w6. Basically that also describes a thirst for knowledge.

The moral, or one, of all this is that writing this blog is how I currently will choose to best express my personality type. I value intellectual pursuit but also value forming it into a system that makes sense. I analyze and process what I learn and create a system, value or otherwise, that makes the most sense logically and practically. I tend to not form that system until I have as much information as possible. This is why my personality type tends to be right a lot.

The tendency, though, is to not follow systems and theories already set in place. In an work organization people with my personality may not follow the rules if they don't make sense to them. But, with most organizations they do most things at least close enough to the *correct* way that my personality types can co-exist.

The thing is, also, most people do not have my personality type. As far as the Myers Briggs is concerned it seems that the high estimate have 4% of the population at INTJ and at the low about 1%. So maybe somewhere in the middle is true. And, I read, and believe it seems right, that only 25% of all females are 'T' (Thinking) so I suck at math but that means almost no females are INTJ.

When thinking about writing this blog I felt compelled because I have ideas to share. I look at the world and other theories and systemtize it all and then want to make it work. That's what INTJ's do. So, sharing my theological constructs makes me happy like nothing else. I think very few people spend the time thinking through all this stuff and forming it into some sort of organized process that makes sense. But, when most people give up and think "why?" I think "yes!" and thrive off of it. So, I might as well share the ideas. Also, I believe being a girl lends another perspective that is completely lacking in the evangelical conservative theological world.

So, good luck to all of you reading along. I hope that it can be helpful to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment